White Hill’s Row in Frederick, Maryland, was built along the B&O railroad tracks downtown, likely as rental units for men working on the trains, as well as other tradespeople.
In 1858, prominent Frederick businessman James Whitehill had six row houses built along the B&O Railroad tracks in downtown.
Whitehill’s Row today during renovation | Photo credit: Ed Bunyan Photography
WHO LIVED THERE — Known as Whitehill’s Row, the property originally served as rental dwellings, most likely for employees or tradesmen working in the railroad, tannery, brick works and lime kiln industries.
In the 20th century, the male renters are believed to have been employed by local manufacturers such as the Frederick Iron and Steel Company, General Tire, the Hillside Motor Company and the Everedy Company, according to the Maryland Historical Trust. The female renters also had jobs at Union Knitting Mills, the G.L. Baking Co. and Sanitary Laundry.
In the 1970s, the McCutcheon brothers, owners of McCutcheon Apple Products seen here today, bought all but one of the row homes. | Photo credit: Ed Bunyan Photography
NEW OWNERS — The homes were rented until 1922, when George Baker bought the entire block on B&O Avenue so his family could live in the unit on the west end (155 B & O Ave). Baker passed the units down to family members who lived there until the 1970s. At that time, the McCutcheon brothers, owners of neighboring property McCutcheon Apple Products Inc., bought all but one of the rowhouses.
The lower level of one of the six row houses for sale prior to renovation
THE NEXT ITERATION — Developers David Bauer and Michael Gordon bought the property a few years ago with the desire to pay tribute to the past while creating homes for everyone from hipsters to empty nesters in a prime location on the east end of Downtown Frederick.
Whitehill’s Row is registered with Frederick County’s Historical Preservation Commission as well as the Maryland Historic Trust. Bauer, who is also a real estate agent and selling the property through SWC Realty of Maryland on Ballenger Center Drive, felt it was only fitting to keep the property’s name with its latest rebirth.
On the lower level of this Whitehill’s Row property, the developers raised the original door, which had been too low for someone to pass through. They exposed original brick and beams found in this mid-1800s home. |Photo credit: Ed Bunyan Photography